The freezing cold weather is fast approaching! Is your home and plumbing system adequately winterized? A few easy DIY projects can help you stay warm and comfortable, protect your home from the harsh elements, and save you money on high utility bills.
First Step: Energy Audit
Perform a DIY or professional home energy audit to determine where and what is using the most energy, then prioritize that project. Check with your power company; most provide free home audits and inspections.
Weather-proof and Insulate
Between 5 to 30 percent of your heat may be leaking from your house! Prevent cold air from entering your home and heat from escaping, by properly sealing any window or door leaks and by installing storm doors and windows. Add or replace insulation in the attic and between walls.
- Tune-up: Just like your car, your heating system requires periodic tune-ups to perform at optimum level.
- Furnace Filters: Replace or clean your furnace filters every 3-6 months to increase airflow and decrease energy demand.
- Thermostat: Fifty to seventy percent of your budget is probably spent on heating and cooling. You can reduce your energy consumption (and your utility bill) by customizing your home’s temperature and only running your system when you are at home. A $50 programmable thermostat can save the average family around $180 a year!
- Seal Ducts: In an average system, 10% to 30% of the air escapes from damaged ducts.
- Main Water Valve: Locate your main water valve so in the event of an emergency, you know where to turn it off.
- Water Heater: Lowering the temperature of your water heater from 140 degrees to 120 degrees can reduce your water heating costs by an average of 6 to 10 percent.
- Insulate Pipes: Insulating your indoor and outdoor pipes can decrease the chance of them freezing. If your pipes are warm to the touch, they could use insulation. You can purchase any insulation items at any hardware store.
- Circulating System: By adding a circulation system, you can get instant hot water, conserve water, and have built-in protection from frozen/busted pipes.
CHOOSE THE RIGHT PLUMBING COMPANY
If you don’t have time for these DIY tips, call Water Savers Atlanta and we can take care of it for you. Our family-owned and operated company has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and has been voted the “Best Plumbing Company in Atlanta” because we do the job right the first time, every time! For more details about our water and plumbing services or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (678) 944-9195. We also provide 24/7 emergency plumbing appointments.